Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A freind of mine, who we will call YJ, is South Korean. He answers the door at his home-stay this past week to a man selling his candy for $5 a box. The man explained to YJ that it was for charity and it was legit. YJ says in very understandable English that he has no money on him and he is sorry he can't buy some candy. The man says "ne how" and looks at my freind and smiles. My freind smiled and politely said "I am not Chinese", so the man in his wisdom and obviously confused state says "oh, I'm sorry, konichewa". My freind smiles again and says "I am not Japanese". The man turned and walked away as quick as he could. Head down. Fast. Past the car and down the road. Real fast.

YJ was laughing during this story and told me the man was very very red faced as he walked away with his head down. Thats probably the last time that guy will try to ID an Asian or try to talk a language he doesnt know.

No comments:

Post a Comment